[Realtime-feeds] Feed errors following M 7.1 - 17km NNE of Ridgecrest, CA earthquake

Fee, Jeremy jmfee at usgs.gov
Sun Jul 7 16:53:29 UTC 2019

Hello,

Shortly after the M 7.1 - 17km NNE of Ridgecrest, CA earthquake last night
the site experienced record traffic levels, over 50,000 requests/second for
several minutes, overwhelming our servers and resulting in many errors for
users accessing near-real time earthquake feeds and information.

We're continuing to investigate observed performance issues, and plan
improvements to make sure data are available during these post-event
traffic surges.  In particular, options to reduce the need to repeatedly
poll for new information.

Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you have specific
errors that we may be able to help address. You can contact Lynda Lastowka
at llastowka at usgs.gov and/or myself at jmfee at usgs.gov

[image: traffic_snapshot.png]

Thanks,

Jeremy Fee
Computer Scientist
USGS Geologic Hazards Science Center, Golden, CO