[Realtime-feed-users] Duplicate Fiji earthquakes last night

James Richards james at artisanglobal.com
Sat May 28 15:20:22 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy,

Friday night at around 10:45 - 11:00 pm Pacific Time, I observed that two earthquakes were appearing separately in the real time data feed located SE of Fiji. The associated quake IDs were pt16149050 and us20005yqp. A short time later the quake with ID pt16149050 disappeared from the feed and was instead listed as an alternate quake ID in the ids property for us20005yqp.

Can you tell us anything about what caused this, and what the proper terminology is for such occurrences? For example, is this what you would call a “ghost” event?

Also, is there an errata associated with the real time feeds where we can verify any mistaken events that may have been reported and withdrawn? I couldn’t find anything on earthquake.usgs.gov about that particular quake pt16149050 being in error.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
James

James Richards