[Realtime-feed-users] USGS Earthquake Realtime Feed shape.zip Content Labels

Matt W. maw269 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:16:23 UTC 2014

We rely on the USGS Earthquake Realtime Feed (GeoJSON).

We have found an inconstancy in one of your latest products.

If you download the shape.zip from:
M6.9  - 43km ENE of Tambo, Peru
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/detail/usb000s5x1.geojson

Then
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/product/shakemap/usb000s5x1/us/1408925670763/download/shape.zip

The Intensity dbf file is named: mi.dbf
______________________________
If you download the shape.zip from:
M 6.0 - 6km NW of American Canyon, California
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/detail/nc72282711.geojson

Then
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/product/shakemap/nc72282711/nc/1408983729833/download/shape.zip

The Intesity dbf file is named: mmi.dbf

This has caused issues in our use of the feed.

In this file:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/product/shakemap/usb000s5x1/us/1408925670763/download/metadata.txt

The description states the dbf should be named mmi.dbf :
"    Detailed_Description:
      Entity_Type:
        Entity_Type_Label: mmi.dbf (shapefile from "shape.zip" download
file)
        Entity_Type_Definition: Polygons of estimated instrumental intensity
        Entity_Type_Definition_Source: ESRI Shapefile Technical Description
"

However, we have found the normal name of the file is mi.dbf
As in this post:
https://geohazards.usgs.gov/pipermail/shake-dev/2011-June/000368.html

What is the standard name of the mi.dbf (mmi.dbf) located in the shape.zip
and what should we be expecting?
Can you please explain why the recent California earthquake had a mmi.dbf
file as opposed to a mi.dbf file?

Thanks,

Matt