[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] Article on Central U.S. Earthquake hazard by expert panel

Susan Hough hough at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 29 06:04:06 UTC 2011

I read and reread the ScienceNOW article looking for the word
"prediction," having seen Rus' comment before I read the article.  Seems
to me clear that Seth was commenting on the reliance on observed
seismicity alone to constrain hazard maps. I'm sure he talked to Kerr at
some length -- as always only a sound-bite makes it into a short article.
Rus' point is well taken: no one earthquake is a "failure" of a hazard
map, unless maybe the earthquake exceeds an Mmax value that was assumed in
generating the map.  More generally, though, I think the main point Seth
was making has been underscored by the quakes he mentioned.  I've made
this exact same argument in my own talks (most recently this evening),
usually by way of making the point that the short historical record can
lull people into a false sense of security.  But clearly it can go the
other way sometimes.  I.e., just thinking conceptually, there must be
areas that have been more active in the historic (or known prehistoric)
record than the average long-term rates.

Sue Hough