[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] Report on New Madrid Seismic Hazard Now Available

Terry Tullis terry_tullis at brown.edu
Thu Apr 28 04:10:47 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

This is to let you know that the report of the Expert Independent Panel
convened by the National Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council (NEPEC) to
assess the level of seismic hazard in the New Madrid Seismic Zone is now
available at

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/aboutus/nepec/reports/NEPEC_NMSZ_expert_panel_rep
ort.pdf .

The cover letter from NEPEC forwarding and commending the report to Dr.
Marcia McNutt, Director of the USGS is available at

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/aboutus/nepec/reports/NEPEC_LettertoMcNutt4-18-11
.pdf .

I emailed this CEUS listserv on March 4, 2011 announcing the formation of
this panel and soliciting input to the panel¹s deliberations. The panel¹s
Chair, John Vidale emailed the listserv on April 1 with a draft of their
report, again soliciting comments. Thanks to all of you who submitted
comments, both in response to my initial invitation and in response to
John¹s subsequent one. I believe the process has worked well and, as a
result of the responses from many of you, the panel obtained valuable and
varied input from the community.  On behalf of NEPEC I congratulate the
panel on an excellent and balanced report and for all the hard work they
invested in this important process.

Best regards,
Terry E. Tullis, Chair of NEPEC
Brown University