[CEUS-earthquake-hazards] The balance

Seth Stein seth at earth.northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:31:49 GMT 2008

I think your point is very well taken. I've recently seen a case
where reducing costs is said to have made a mitigation measure cost
effective. There's a recent study (you may know it) by the National
Institute of Standards and Technology "Benefit-Cost Analysis of
Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems"

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/build07/art025.html

The study argues that although analysis in 1984 found that residential
sprinkler systems were not cost-effective,
improvements in their performance and cost now make them
cost-effective.

I don't know enough about the specifics to say more,
but it looks like the kind of objective outside study that would
be useful in considering various seismic mitigation strategies.
My recommendation (for the central U.S.) has been to do this via
the National Academy of Sciences /National Academy of Engineering
study process

http://www.nationalacademies.org/studyprocess/index.html

which is likely to produce sensible results that will be generally
accepted.This is the approach being taken for hurricane protection
policy for New Orleans.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/projectview.aspx?key=335
New Orleans Regional Hurricane Protection Projects

-
Seth Stein
William Deering Professor
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
1850 Campus Drive
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
(847) 491-5265 FAX: (847) 491-8060 E-MAIL: seth at earth.northwestern.edu
http://www.earth.northwestern.edu/people/seth

-