[Shake-dev] ShakeMap v4 at NEIC

Charles (Contractor) Worden cbworden at contractor.usgs.gov
Thu Feb 28 16:45:25 UTC 2019

The Global ShakeMap system at NEIC is now running ShakeMap v4 in production. While it is still early days, you can see examples here:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000jpam/shakemap/intensity <https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000jpam/shakemap/intensity>
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000j8dg/shakemap/intensity <https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000j8dg/shakemap/intensity>
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/hv70323196/shakemap/intensity <https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/hv70323196/shakemap/intensity>
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000j8fs/shakemap/intensity <https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000j8fs/shakemap/intensity>

Note that the traditional static maps are available in the downloads section, though they have been substantially redesigned. There are many new features, including expanded metadata. We have improved the version and version history sections, as well as an expanded section on the ground motion models
(which now may be a weighted set of individual GMPEs). Much more information about ShakeMap v4 may be found in the manual:

https://usgs.github.io/shakemap/manual4_0/title_page.html <https://usgs.github.io/shakemap/manual4_0/title_page.html>

ShakeMap v4 has been through the official USGS software release process. The code base may be found on GitHub:

https://github.com/usgs/shakemap <https://github.com/usgs/shakemap>

The Wiki there has instructions for installing and testing the system. The installation process is much simplified over the previous versions of ShakeMap.

If you find bugs or other problems with the software, or want to make suggestions for features, please use the GitHub issue tracking feature rather than posting to this mailing list. You may wish to subscribe to the GitHub repository so you can be notified when changes are made or when issues are discussed.

We are making occasional tagged releases, but we are adding features relatively rapidly, so your best bet for installation would be to clone the repo so that you can pull over changes as soon as they are available. The
changes that reach the master repository have gone through our continuous integration system, which installs the software and all of its dependencies on a clean system, and then runs the unit tests. We have about 90% code coverage with the unit tests, so pulling the latest developments should be relatively safe.

C. Bruce Worden
Synergetics Inc. Contractor in support of USGS
Please note that my USGS email address is now:
cbworden at contractor.usgs.gov