[Shake-dev] Compilation error: syntax error at ./knet2xml

Bruce Worden cbworden at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 04:34:54 UTC 2014

Hi Branden,

I'm not sure what could be causing the problem -- the file you sent was bit for bit identical to one that works for me. As I said, it's possible that there is a difference in perl versions. It's also possible that that some version of some module has an incompatibility with something in knet2xml.

You could start commenting things out and try to isolate the problem. If you can figure it out, I can fix it in the distribution. Or you could go into the Makefile and comment out the line that specifies knet2xml as a target. It's unlikely that you'll ever use the program and if everything else works for you then it won't matter.

Bruce

On Dec 11, 2014, at 6:52 PM, Branden Christensen <branden.christensen at osop.com.pa> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Best,
>

> Branden Christensen
> Director, OSOP
> Sign up for the OSOP mailing list: http://www.osop.com.pa/about/osop-mailing-list/
> Visit us at AGU next week: Booth 2136
> LA SALSA VIVE...Gózala. Cali 2014.
>
> OSOP
> --.-
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Bruce Worden <cbworden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> I've attached a version from my system that I just compiled successfully. You can diff it with what you are using to see if there's any difference. If they're the same, it may have something to do with the version of perl, but I'm not really sure.
>
> Bruce
>

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Branden Christensen <branden.christensen at osop.com.pa> wrote:
>
>> Bruce:
>>

>> Great to hear from you.
>>
>> I grabbed it from the svn, compiled again and unfortunately I got the same result.
>>

>> Best,
>>

>> Branden Christensen
>> Director, OSOP
>> Sign up for the OSOP mailing list: http://www.osop.com.pa/about/osop-mailing-list/
>> Visit us at AGU next week: Booth 2136
>> LA SALSA VIVE...Gózala. Cali 2014.
>>
>> OSOP
>> --..
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Bruce Worden <cbworden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Branden,
>>
>> I don't get that error. It's possible that the file was corrupted somehow. I'd suggest deleting knet2xml, getting it from svn again, and trying make again.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Branden Christensen <branden.christensen at osop.com.pa> wrote:
>>
>>> HI all:
>>>

>>> Buenas noches.
>>>
>>> When trying to compile ShakeMap revision 1362 on a 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 machine I get the message below. Thank you for any suggestions.
>>>
>>> $ sudo make all
>>> /usr/bin/install -m 0755 knet2xml /opt/shakemap//bin
>>> syntax error at ./knet2xml line 135, near "$ext qw(NS EW)"
>>> Global symbol "@files" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 138.
>>> Global symbol "@files" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 139.
>>> Global symbol "@files" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 142.
>>> syntax error at ./knet2xml line 197, near "$comp qw( psa03 psa10 psa30 )"
>>> Global symbol "$comp" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 198.
>>> Global symbol "$ref" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 199.
>>> Global symbol "$comp" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 199.
>>> Global symbol "$psa" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 199.
>>> Global symbol "$comp" requires explicit package name at ./knet2xml line 199.
>>> syntax error at ./knet2xml line 200, near "}"
>>> ./knet2xml has too many errors.
>>> make[2]: *** [/opt/shakemap//bin/knet2xml] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/shakemap/src/xml'
>>> make[1]: *** [xml] Error 2