[Shake-dev] Bug in cancel

Bruce Worden cbworden at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 17:17:56 UTC 2013

Resend:

Hi all,

We've recently discovered a bug in the ShakeMap program "cancel." Cancel deletes an event from the ShakeMap database and runs the configured programs with the -cancel flag. It also then runs genex and transfer for the most recent previous event to remake the web archive and home page, and transfer them to the web. The problem was that it ran genex without options, and transfer with only the -www option. This approach was sufficient to cancel an event, unfortunately the new flags to genex and transfer were saved in the ShakeMap flags database, causing subsequent runs of the event to not use the original set of flags. Thus, canceling an event had the side effect of changing the genex and transfer flags for subsequent runs of the newest remaining event in the database (at the time of the cancel).

This bug has existed for many years, but we've only recently discovered it. If you've ever used cancel, you may wish to check your flags database and see if you have any events for which the flags for genex and transfer have been unintentionally changed, and rerun them manually with the correct flags.

The fix to cancel will appear in the next release of ShakeMap, but I've attached the fixed version below for immediate installation. Put the file in <shake_home>/src/shake and then cd to that directory and do 'make'. Please let me know if you have any problems with the new version.

Bruce

P.S. This fix should solve most problems with canceling events. I've discovered, however, that there are possible failure modes due to the asynchronous way events are canceled from 'queue.' These failure modes are extremely unlikely, but possible. The fix will require some extensive changes to 'queue', and I'll try to have them available in the next release of ShakeMap.