[Shake-dev] two questions!

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Tue Aug 31 15:41:56 UTC 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 9:30 PM, 王士成 wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I installed SM-3.5 on Ubuntu 10.04(32 bit) .Now i have two
> problems:
> 1、how  to get the event.xml and *_db.xml files used in programes.
>       i saw lots of programes named 'cdmg2xml'....just like in
> $shake_home/bin  directory ,the question is which program i should
> use.

The programs serve as examples of how to parse data in certain formats
into the XML that ShakeMap requires. It is likely that you will have
to customize one or more of them to fit the specifics of the system
that produces your amplitudes. Many of the programs parse files, but
db2xml and eq2xml access a database. The ShakeMap documentation (in
the doc directory) describes the XML format, and the example event
(9583161 in the data directory) contains examples of the XML files.

> 2、how to auto-start the shakemap process  programes?
>      when i get the event.xml and *_db.xml files , i want  the
> shakemap program know and auto-start, process the event.

This is dependent on your system. You need to find some way to start
'shake' when data is available (note that shake can call 'retrieve'
and that will allow you to run programs to create the input files from
your data source per #1, above). There are many ways to start the
process. The ShakeMap distribution comes with a program 'queue' that
will run in the background and wait for connections to a socket, then
kick off the shake process. This program is a bit dependent on access
to a particular database, but could be modified to behave more
generically. Another option: in the src/watcher directory is a program
called dirwatch (and a README that explains it) that can look for
files to appear in a directory and then take some action. The
directories src/watcherlib and src/watchercfg have some versions of
program that can serve as examples.

A lot depends on the system you are using to process your incoming
seismic data. If you are using Earthworm, someone on the list may be
able to offer some suggestions. If you are using the software from the
California Integrated Seismic Network, queue, db2xml, and eq2xml are
the way to go. If you are using your own software, you'll have to
customize something.

Bruce