[Shake-dev] Updated Release 3.5

Bruce Worden cbworden at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 12 17:57:00 UTC 2010

Jack,

Thanks for your input. My experience over a lot of events is that when
the bias hits reasonably wide stops (e.g., +/- 2 (remember, these are
magnitude units now)), something pathological is going on. Either the
magnitude or origin is associated with the wrong data, an out-of-
network event is given the wrong origin or magnitude, an event is
split and the associations are screwed up, etc. Setting the bias to
zero in these cases is essentially saying that the bias didn't work,
and we're not going to try to second guess the network's magnitude and
location. The purpose of the bias is to adjust the GMPE for inter-
event variance, not to overcome an epic fail on the part of the
network. If the network gets it wrong, ShakeMap is going to be wrong
no matter what you do. Once the fix is made, you either re-run or
cancel the ShakeMap.

But you are correct, it would be possible to end up with a bias of
-1.95 for PGA and 0.0 for PGV. This is probably more likely with PSA
than PGM, but it could occasionally happen. If you trust the bias
mechanism and the data more than the network's magnitude and location,
you can set your bias stops at some huge value (+/- 10, for example)
and you'll rarely trigger the limits. (grind will internally enforce a
limit of 1 <= magnitude + bias <= 10, and set the bias to zero if this
range is exceeded, but I could change that behavior if you want to
propose something better.)

I believe Pete has rerun most NC events with 3.5 -- you could have a
look at the situations where grind hit the bias stops and see what
sort of circumstances obtained. That might help guide our development
and operational strategies. But my guess, based on the SCSN events
I've run, is that you won't find many examples. It is usually a
transient phenomenon that the network fixes shortly after the event.

Bruce