[Shake-dev] Re: [Fwd: Re: Solution: regression distances and plotregr?]

Jack Boatwright boat at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 9 17:02:34 GMT 2007

Pete,

	Nice plots and an interesting suggestion.  I was off talking about
earthquakes to a high school yesterday (the sound of many students
sleeping).  Yes, an earthquake with an updip rupture direction might be
better fit just using a shallower depth for the attenuation curve.  The
updip rupturing events have a tendency to produce wild shakemaps (some of
the Geysers events, the Simi Valley event, ...).  My preference would be to
solve the wider directivity/attenuation problem, rather than just the updip
part, but it deserves talking about.

						take care,       Jack