[Shake-dev] Re: [Fwd: Re: Solution: regression distances and plotregr?]

Jack Boatwright boat at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 7 23:34:57 GMT 2007

Pete,

Really, there is only one fault measure used in any of these calculations,
which is the
3D distance from the station to the source.  Joyner-Boore calculate this
distance by using a fixed source depth, h, in the equation you quote below.
It's just that when they wrote the 1979 paper, they didn't want to be
bothered with assigning a source depth to each earthquake (centroid,
hypocentral, ...) and solved for a source depth that fit the whole data
set.  The Rjb is the closest horizontal distance to the surface projection
of the fault, but Rjb is always Pythag- orithmed to 3D distance in their
attenuation relation.  Another reason that Joyner & Boore could get away
with the single depth approximation was that they were looking at large
earthquakes, whose ruptures usually extended from 10 km depth or more to
the surface.

For moderate earthquakes, however, the rupture area is much smaller.  A
good rule of thumb is that a M4 event has a rupture length of a kilometer
or less.  Thus we expect that for these earthquakes source depth has a
stronger effect on attenuation.  Compare, for example, one of the shallow
Geysers events with the high near-field PGAs with one of the deep Livermore
events.  Generally, they have much different attenuations.

Remember that when Dave Wald modelled the Nisqually earthquake, he had to
go in and manually adjust the "fixed" source depth in the Joyner-Boore
formula to model the attenuation.  I think he ended up using h = 30 km or
so.

So the best approach would be to use the general distance term R =
sqrt(Rjb**2 + h**2).
Then for the Joyner-Boore attenuation relations in, HazusPGV, h is fixed to
whatever depth they have determined fits the data set best.  But if we use
Small_Seg for moderate earthquakes, then we use the actual source depth for
h.  This doesn't seem to be sufficient grounds for a big fight.

The only further question is how you want to plot the data in plotregr.
Dave Boore was impressed by your use of Rjb as the ordinate for the
Lafayette earthquake.  If you want to plot the small_seg attenuation curve,
however, it will not be a fixed function of Rjb, but will also vary in
shape with the source depth.  But that's okay.

					take care,       Jack