[Geomag-data] Near-real-time mag data?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 21:12:43 UTC 2016

Simpson, Hal wrote on 01/12/2016 06:16 PM:

> For near realtime data we now have a public Edge server that provides an
> earthworm waveserver like interface at cwbpub.cr.usgs.gov.   To connect to
> that service,  we provide open source python code at
> https://github.com/usgs/geomag-algorithms

Where are step-by-step installation instructions for Linux? (In particular,
debian stable.)

In the absence of instructions, I downloaded the zip file, extracted
everything, and found the file "geomag.py" to which you refer; but when I
tried to run it with no parameters just as a quick sanity test, this happened:

----

[HN:bin] geomag.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./geomag.py", line 13, in <module>
    from geomagio.Controller import main, parse_args
  File "/tmp/usgs/geomag-algorithms-master/geomagio/__init__.py", line 5, in
<module>
    import StreamConverter
  File "/tmp/usgs/geomag-algorithms-master/geomagio/StreamConverter.py", line
11, in <module>
    import obspy.core
ImportError: No module named obspy.core
[HN:bin]

----

Debian stable doesn't seem to have any package name containing the string
"obspy". So I am stuck as to what to do next. How do I fix the above error?

This process appears to be hugely more complicated than simply going to URL to
download the data, as was possible in the past, so some accurate step-by-step
would very much help to ease the pain.

  Doc Evans

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR