[Geomag-daily] [EXTERNAL] RE: [Ext] Re: Daily bad Total Field Values at Deadhorse Observatory

Sauter, Edward esauter at usgs.gov
Fri Sep 28 23:31:46 UTC 2018

Karen,
Thanks for thinking about this and making us consider other posible sources
of corruption.

The disturbance may not be man caused, but after looking over the
BGS/Haliburton data from their observatory, there is some kind of a
disturbance taking place.  Because the BGS/Haliburton data has only minute
values, and we see minimal evidence in our variation data, it is difficult
to say for certain, but Abe Claycomb, Josh Rigler and I looked over data
plots from the disturbed period on 9/25, and there is obviously a
disturbance to the BGS/Haliburton data during the same period.

As for wildlife or wind, I would expect it would have happened before now,
and been noticed.

I guess we will just have to keep looking and hopefully we find the source
of the interference, or it goes away.  Regardless, at this point, I will
keep monitoring and sending out the status of missing Total Field 1 second
values from Deadhorse, but until I have something else to investigate, I
won't be looking at equipment malfunction as the source of the problem.

Next week. we will look at the disturbed data periods to see when (date
wise) this disturbance started to see if that lends anything.

Ed Sauter