[Geomag-daily] Replacement sequence

Sauter, Edward esauter at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 2 15:24:04 UTC 2018

Bryan,
In an earlier message, I mentioned we had a desirable sequence with which
to replace the parts I sent yesterday.

Before starting the replacement procedure, I need to be available.  Please
contact me so we both have a time in mind.   According to the USPS web
site, you MIGHT have the container tomorrow afternoon @3:00 PM.  If you
have time tomorrow evening, I'll be available. Or, could you be available
early Saturday morning?  If these time don't work for you, please propose a
time you can be available and I'll make sure I'll be there.  This should
take no more than an hour on site.

Here is what John Spritzer and I have come up with, and a brief explanation:
Take your cell phone with you.  I know this will cause an artificial
disturbance during this procedure, but we need to be in contact so we know
what is (or isn't) happening.

1. Replace the  *Power In and Serial Interface Cable for the GSM 19*.  This
is the only piece that hasn't been replaced earlier.  You don't need to
shut down the MXE, but you could power down the GSM 19.  After replacing
the cable and verifying the GSM 19 is again sampling, call me so I can see
if we are receiving Total Field data.

2. Replace the *Gem Systems GSM 19 Overhauser Magnetometer Console.*  Power
down the unit in the system, remove all connections, swap out the GSM 19
consoles, reconnect all the connections, and power up the GSM 19.   After
replacing the console and verifying the replacement GSM 19 is again
sampling, call me so I can see if we are receiving Total Field data.

3. Replace the *MXE computer*.
*Before replacing the MXE, notice how the network LEDs are blinking.*
Remove the power connection first and restore it last.  Otherwise it
shouldn't make any difference as far as order.  After power up, look for
the same LED blinking activity at the network connections to:
The MXE.
The Lawsaon Labs 802 (Master and Slave network ports).
The Black Box device with the fiber optic connection.

If you don't see network activity after 1 minute, try resetting any and all
devices to get everything blinking like it should.

If all is blinking like it should(or not), call me to find out what I see.

Hopefully we can get all data flowing again as it should.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time,
Ed
--
Edward A. Sauter
US Geological Survey