[ANSS-netops] potential ETNA2 issue

Jamison Steidl steidl at eri.ucsb.edu
Fri Apr 26 15:52:57 UTC 2019

If anyone has some data examples of this problem, please send the data to me
so I can follow up.
Thanks,
Jamie

From:  ANSS-netops <anss-netops-bounces at geohazards.usgs.gov> on behalf of
Jim Smith <jimsmith at usgs.gov>
Date:  Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM
To:  <anss-netops at geohazards.usgs.gov>
Subject:  [ANSS-netops] potential ETNA2 issue

Hello ANSS group,

I have experienced "buzzing" issues with the ETNA2, and found out CGS
encountered a similar problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had this
issue with the units. Here is a response given by KMI support to CGS
regarding the matter:

" Listening to the video and the fact that putting a finger on the unit
suggests that at least one of the EpiSensor components is oscillating. We
had one report of this but were unable to duplicate the problem with the
unit as returned which functioned normally even after over-torquing the
hold-down nut. Do we know if this unit was torques with a torque wrench or
by hand? I'm not sure who at KMI said it couldn't be the bolt pressure but
certainly if sufficient torque is exerted the case can be deformed which
could result in the sensors going into oscillation. Hence, the essential
question is was this over-torqued or are some units susceptible to this at
our suggested torque. "
r/Jim

Jim Smith
USGS-ESC