[ANSS-netops] event posts to social media

Shiro, Brian bshiro at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 19 19:17:26 UTC 2018

Mitch,

Facebook used to have a handy post-by-email feature just like Twitter, so
prior to this recent change you could have set up a separate AQMS alarm to
send email updates to Facebook in parallel to the ones you also send to
Twitter.  I think Facebook has discontinued that feature now.

A third party tool like Buffer or Hootsuite might be the only other option.
I know in Buffer that you can send emails to a "secret" email address for
your account and configure it to post automatically to your social media
accounts.  In principal, you could change your AQMS alarm to send to this
address and then in Buffer set up how you want that to go out and to which
accounts.

https://buffer.com/guides/email

At HVO, we outsource earthquake update subscriptions to the ENS rather than
post earthquake updates to social media.  ENS only has email and text
message options, not social media, though.  Our volcano status updates do
go out to Twitter, Facebook, and email via the VNS.

Brian

--
Brian Shiro
Seismic Network Manager
bshiro at usgs.gov
orcid 0000-0001-8756-288X
Mail: PO Box 1026, Hilo, HI 96721
Shipping: 29 Kuhio Street, Hilo, HI 96720