[ANSS-netops] Altus/K2 timing issue

Jon Rusho jon at seis.utah.edu
Mon Jul 2 15:44:29 UTC 2018

UUSS experienced an early roll-over of the GPS 1024-week counter in many
of our Kinemetrics K2 instruments this weekend.   Looking at IRIS, this
appears to have also impacted other networks.   The problem manifested
itself as waveform data being timestamped in 1998 instead of 2018.

I'm testing a software fix in the k2ew Earthworm modules.   For data
that comes in timestamped between 1998 and 01-July-2018, I shifted the
time by 1024 weeks (619315200 seconds).

My question to all of you, is this the correct shift or am I missing
something?

More info on the GPS rollover:
https://spectracom.com/resources/blog/lisa-perdue/2018/gps-2019-week-rollover-what-you-need-know

Thanks