[ANSS-netops] STS-2 installation in a pseudo-posthole?

Croker, David croker at usgs.gov
Tue Aug 1 19:11:31 UTC 2017

We still have an unused STS-2 on the shelf that we plan to deploy and don't
want to go through the hassle of building a giant vault like in the "old
days".  For better noise and thermal stability, we would like to install it
in a sort of posthole arrangement, but, of course, with a sensor not
originally designed to be installed that way, there are challenges to
overcome.

The question for the larger audience is:  has anyone attempted such a
thing, and if so, do you mind sharing your installation methods, tricks,
and any data quality results?  And, in your opinion, was it worth the
effort?

Thanks for listening,
Dave
USGS - Earthquake Science Center - EEW Regional Program Manager (NCSS)
David S. Croker
   office (650) 329-4697
345 Middlefield Rd, MS 977                                           mobile
(650) 465-4334
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                      EEW info:
www.shakealert.org
email: croker at usgs.gov                      Quake info:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/