[ANSS-netops] radio frequencies

Croker, David croker at usgs.gov
Mon Jan 11 18:20:09 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad you are still working to meet the needs of
the RSN's!

I do want to clarify that USGS cannot ask for RFA's in nor are allowed to
use the 200MHz band.  NTIA's band plan does not allow federal users in
217-220 anymore.  The RSN's that do not use USGS for their RFA's should
still be able to request those frequencies through the FCC.  Furthermore,
USGS is restricted to 12.5kHz in the VHF and 400MHz bands.

As for the chatter, we are trying to get clarification from Reston and NTIA
on what is really happening.  On first blush it appears that rather than
losing frequencies in the 162-174MHz band, NTIA has defined a new band plan
that would require many of us to move to different center frequencies.  The
NTIA band plan supplement says that users are supposed to conform to the
new band plan by Jan. 1, 2019.  Unfortunately we have not gotten any
feedback yet on what's real.  Thanks go to Tom Yelin for first discovering
this.  I know you've been working locally with Phil Raymond on the VLF VHF
radio.  We may be knocking on your door soon!

Dave
USGS - Earthquake Science Center - NCSN Field Operations Manager
David S. Croker                                                    office
(650) 329-4697
345 Middlefield Rd, MS 977                                      fax (650)
329-4732
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                             cell (650)
465-4334
email: croker at usgs.gov           Quake info: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/