[ANSS-netops] K2 interface with GX-440 modem: k2ew_tcp

Ogie Kuraica ogie at kmi.com
Mon Jan 12 16:56:43 UTC 2015

Mark,

The K2 has been obsolete product for about 7 years and I will try to do my best recollection:-)

Dynamic 2048” applies to file transfers in in block mode. When enabled, this mode adapts the packet size to the largest packet size that will transfer reliably – up to 2048 bytes. Larger packet sizes increase speed of file transfers on TCP connections.

-        In the K2’s streaming mode (which is what you are trying to use), packet sizes will be 1 second of data compressed to 2 or 3 bytes per sample. So data packets will be between ~200 and ~300 bytes. There are also other packets included such as message, status and parameter packets that vary from very small to very large.

-        Mode 1 is what is typically used for K2 streaming. It sends data without a handshake required, and the host can talk back to the K2 to request any missing packets. 99% of all streaming K2’s use Mode 1.

-        Basically, th2 K2’s streaming parameters are typically set to:

a)      Mode (typically 1)

b)      SPS (much match recorded SPS)

c)      Compressed or not

d)      Selected streamed channels

e)      Buffer size (on disk)

-        I would suggest use of the TCP rather than UDP (between the two GX-440 modems) and allow the TCP protocol to take care of error correction. Using UDP will likely work too, but just pushes error correction up into the K2’s protocol.

-         We would  suggest that you simplify this whole thing a bit to try and isolate where the problems are. At the moment you have  GX-440 modems that we certainly know nothing about, an EW module (ISTI may help you) , and uncertainty about the streaming parameters of the K2. I would eliminate the GX-440 (just use a serial port or direct TCP connection) or EW (just use Altus File Assistant to display waveforms for example) and get each pieces of the system working before trying to tie it all together.

Cheers,

Ogie