[ANSS-netops] solar power problems

Mitchell M Withers (mwithers) mwithers at memphis.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:11:50 UTC 2015

Here is a snippet from a recent report from a visit to an example station with a reftek, three S-13's, and an episensor.  Stations vary of course and we do use low voltage cutouts at every station (fancy ones that cut out the transmitter first, then the DAS and everything else if the voltage continues to get lower).

"The new battery banks, when installed were at 12.95 and 12.98. The total station draw is exactly 600ma (checked continuously for about three minutes). I did a quick calculation of 4 batteries at 96AH each, 384/.6 = 640/24 =26.6 days. This calculation would assume no solar charge, but does not take into account reduced battery capacity due to cold temperatures."

The panels at that particular station were supplying about 700ma together on an overcast day and are being replaced with bigger panels this week.  Of course one solution is more battery and more solar at every station along with more frequent refreshing of batteries.  But that gets expensive and time consuming so I was fishing to see if anyone is doing something creative. (e.g. wind or hamster wheels).

Mitch

Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
University of Memphis                Ph: 901-678-4940
Memphis, TN 38152                   Fax: 901-678-4734