[ANSS-netops] GPS failure at New Mexico Tech Seismological Observatory

Gee, Lind lgee at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 28 20:03:25 UTC 2014

I'm forwarding this message for Shane Ingate:

Subject: GPS failure at New Mexico Tech Seismological Observatory

Hello,

I operate the New Mexico Tech Seismological Observatory.  We have two
networks in New Mexico.  Stations are RF-telemetered to a data center where
the signals are digitized, archived and analysed.

On Jan 14, 2014, 1335 UTC, our Geotech GTS-One GPS failed.  Symptoms
include time being reset to UTC midnight Aug 22, 1999.  Every 9 seconds, an
internal counter is reset and the clock resets to UTC midnight Aug 22,
1999.  Mike Stickney of Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology indicates that
his GTS-One failed at exactly the same time with the same symptoms.

We have an older system running the GTS-One, Windows 2000 and an older
12-bit National Instruments digitizer board feeding Earthworm.  We do have
a newer Trimble Thunderbolt E clock, Windows 7 and 16-bit National
Instruments PCle-6343 digitizer board feeding Earthworm.

My question:  We have been having problems setting-up the Thunderbolt clock
to operate with Trimble's own GPS Studio, and zero luck with having it
communicate with the NI PCle-6343 board.  Trimble have been extraordinarily
uninterested in helping us.

Has anyone had experience with this setup that they can share with me?
Are there any low-cost yet reliable solutions that I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Shane Ingate
NMTSO
singate at ees.nmt.edu
+1/575-835-6611

----
Lind S. Gee

US Geological Survey
Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory
P.O. Box 82010
Albuquerque NM 87198-2010

lgee at usgs.gov
505-853-8887 - direct line    243-8887 DSN
505-846-5646 - ASL office   246-5646 DSN
505-846-6973 - fax