[ANSS-netops] xlak date stamp wrong; notes on NCSN TrueTime fix

mwithers at memphis.edu mwithers at memphis.edu
Mon Aug 19 21:13:11 UTC 2013

If your clock said 1996, then I don't know what's going on.  If it was 1994
like ours, then its the week rollover.  Based on what I've been reading some
programs had hooks to get past the 1999 rollover but then would experience the
rollover 19 years from their manufacture.  For us, that was August 18, 2013.
The week counter went from 1023 to 0 making the clock think it was 1024 weeks
ago (or January 1994).  There was also apparently a feature built in that
allows you to set the year manually and it then figures out which epoch its in.

I suspect there is a decent chance that the clocks that didn't rollover over
last weekend will at some point in the future, 19 years after they were
manufactured.  So it might be useful to try to find out what that date is.

Mitch

Center for Earthquake Research and Information (CERI)
University of Memphis                Ph: 901-678-4940
Memphis, TN 38152                   Fax: 901-678-4734