[ANSS-netops] GPS Service Anomalies

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 30 17:54:42 UTC 2012

All,

It has been our experience that most GPS anomalies that cause a loss
of GPS lock at numerous stations on any one of the six orbital
planes, usually clears up after one orbital pass (12 hours).

For civil users, the US Coast Guard maintains a web site with various
types of notices and advisories.  See
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?Do=constellationStatus.  There is also a
E-mail subscriber list for notifications.  See
http://cgls.uscg.mil/mailman/listinfo/gps.

You can also report degradations, outages, incidents or other
anomalies at http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=gpsUserInput

For us at ASL, we have been affected by the Light Squared testing at
White Sands Missle Range and other military testing of GPS..  Testing
notices are at
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gps/gpsnotices/GPS_Interference.pdf.

The FCC in Febuary said no and blocked wholesale deployment of Light
Squared systems, but the issue is far from dead.  They can turn to
the courts and they probably will.

For a sure response send E-Mail to gsnmaint at usgs.gov, or
gsn-xxxx(your station code)@usgs.gov

Regards,

Kyle E. Persefield
Honeywell Int'l HTSI, Field Engineer
USGS Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory Contractor

Observatory "Trouble" Hotline Telephone: 505-846-5646
Tel:   505-846-7597
Fax:  505-846-6973
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/asl/

Mailing Address: