[ANSS-netops] L4 3 component mount

David S. Croker croker at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 29 18:13:17 UTC 2012

Hey Steve, that looks awfully familiar.  We took our design from John
Evans, who happens to be good buddies with John Rogers.  We do the
same for electrical isolation too.  We do not weld our plates
together.  I guess too much trouble.  We instead use 4 bolts in each
channel to secure them to the bottom plate.  Of note, however, is we
work hard to secure the seis cables as close to the cap as possible;
for instance, we zip tie the vertical cable to one of the vertical
threaded rods and have a cable clamp in the corner of the plate to
secure all of the cords.  With even moderate shaking, the cords will
start to shake and affect data.  The other big difference is we
support the plate on heavy compression springs that fit around each
of the mounting bolts.  Then, we compress the springs greatly so
there is not too much play left, but enough to make the leveling
process easy with a socket.  The design is such that you only need to
adjust the west and south bolts, and once the two horizontals are
level, by default the vertical will be level also.  This design has
worked very well for us with no discernable differences in data seen
in side-by-side testing with a direct buried L4 (that's with John
Evans comparing seismograms too, and if you know John, he is as
careful as they come).

Attached are a picture of the plate and our diagram.  The black box
in the picture is where we terminate the seis cords and insert the
S+T resistors, with one 3-pair individually shielded cable out to the
digitizer.  Hope this helps.

Dave