[ANSS-netops] Trillium Compact installation

Mark E. Meremonte meremonte at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 27 22:33:18 UTC 2011

Hi David,

Here is link from Dupont on its Corian product
that discusses its product.  See page 62 in the document:
http://www2.dupont.com/Corian/en_IT/assets/downloads/pdfs/technical/english_2005_dupont_corian_book_techknowhow.pdf
and
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Commercial/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/Corian_Technical_Bulletins/Performance_Properties_of_Corian.pdf.

Thermal expansion
The coefficient of linear thermal expansion for
Corian® is 1 mm per meter.   Link to thermal
characteristics that includes concrete &
glass:  http://www.hukseflux.com/thermalScience/thermalConductivity.html.

Thus, this is why we have chosen Corian for our
portable vault bases:  good thermal stability,
light weight (over glass or tile), less prone to
breakage during shipping and dropping
accidentally, easily machinable, provides
isolation from ground currents similar to glass,
provide flat base to install the small C_Trill,
and is durable (used over & over again).

Once we duct seal the 2 gallon bucket (bottom cut
out) to the vault base, we do have a water tight
seal; and the bucket is tethered to the base w/ 3
tethers (tension of tethers is slight) to insure
bucket is not detached from duct seal during
burial.   Bucket has a screw lid with a O-ring;
buckets are food buckets for storing and freezing
food.  Buckets are also lightweight and reusable.

We use a bulkhead fitting (designed by Greg
Steiner) to water-tight the cable entry into the bucket.

When we install, we usually put a small layer of
playsand in the hole first to help level and
couple the base in the hole;  then pack a bit of
sand around the bucket and base to help anchor
the bucket before packing in the native dirt
around the bucket up to the base of the
lid.  Next, install the seismometer, insulate
with fiberglass, add dessicant just below lid
where condensation usually forms, then screw on
lid tightly;  then finish burying the system with
at least 6 inches but try to do a foot if
possible for temporary, portable sites.

So far, we have used these vault systems in
Arkansas which CERI installed, in New Madrid, MO,
during the National Level Exercise where it
rained much, in Reno, NV, where we installed 16
stations for a month (but most vaults were duct
sealed to a garage floor or outside concrete
patio w/o trouble, 8 stations along the Calaveras
Fault in mtns for next 6 months to a year
(outcome not known yet), and I tested one for 2.5
months in satellite dish compound at USGS Golden
office  (no water contamination).

Attached is a ML3.0 (really 2.98; NCSN) within 15
km of the stations for the Z and N components to
scale, no filtering, for perusal.

Thinking of doing AGU poster on the vault system;  better get on the stick.

Best Regards,
Mark