[ANSS-netops] cell modems and first of the month

Philip Crotwell crotwell at seis.sc.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:54:44 UTC 2011

Hi all

We use raven-x cell modems on both verizon and at&t and have noticed
that often a large percentage of the stations will go offline shortly
after midnight on the first of the month. Not always, and not exactly
at midnight, but usually between midnight and 2am. Usually the
stations come back after our daily cell modem power cycle. It seems to
happen more often with Verizon, but has also happened with AT&T. Tech
support is as usual completely useless as they suggest "turn off the
power and turn it back on again" and seem very surprised when I tell
them I can't.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior? Any words of advice?

thanks,
Philip