[ANSS-netops] Short Period Amp

Paul Bodin bodin at uw.edu
Thu Oct 7 14:46:19 UTC 2010

We are planning to use KMI Basalts to replace some seismic stations that are currently just single vertical-channel short period high-gain instruments with analog telemetry. The new stations will have digital telemetry and the high gain short period on channel 4 of the Basalt, as well as 3 strong motion channels. A hangup for us was that in our tests the unity gain of ch 4 of the Basalts just didn't provide the needed Ooomph for our seismometers, so Pat McChesney (pjmc at pacifier.com) and Karl Hagel (hagel at u.washington.edu) came up with the short period amp (spamp). The amplifier is small, resides between the seismometer and the datalogger, has a convenient place to insert seismometer damping resistors, and is rather easily assembled from standard components. For more information, please contact Pat and/or Karl.

Paul Bodin