[ANSS-netops] Low Power Router

Rayo Bhadha rayo at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 12 18:06:51 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

If you do find a good low-power solution I would like to know about it as
well, could you send the mailing list or just me some info on what you
find please.

Warning: the following is not a low-power router solution :)

We have used Linksys WRL54GL where we have multiple devices behind the
Raven X. Its a Wireless-G Broadband router and we always remove the
antenna and disable the wireless component.

The two advantages of this unit are that you could use it with the
existing Linksys browser-based configuration or flash the unit with Linux
and have more control and security of your routing. We have done both
depending on what we are trying to achieve.

The other advantage is that this unit uses 12 volts which is what most of
our sites have.

But low power its not. It uses almost 4-5 Watts.

cheers,
rayo

Rayomand Bhadha       rayo at gps.caltech.edu
Caltech Seismo Lab   phone: (626) 395-2407
Pasadena, CA          cell: (626) 298-9809