[ANSS-netops] ANSS Netops Database

Kyle Persefield kpersefield at usgs.gov
Mon Feb 9 22:00:16 GMT 2009

All,

ASL does not have an all-in-one means of tracking all activity
concerning our stations.

We currently use a Access database to track equipment actions.  We
may change this database in the future to something PASSCAL like.  We
really want to barcode our equipment.

We also have station mailboxes and filters to track E-mail concerning
station problems.

We also use Request-Tracker (Freeware, see
http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/).  We use this software to generate
trouble tickets\workorders and it can be linked to the E-mails.  Over
time this can develop into quite a powerful tool to for your station
knowledge base, history and trend analysis.

Lastly, we maintain station documents on individual stations on a
common use networked hard drive.  Soon this folder will be
reorganized and documents will be linked via a local "Wiki" page and
has a powerful search engine to find things.

If someone comes up with an all-in-one process, we would like to
know.  The best product we'd like to try and comes closest to this
all-in-one documents/content management program, is the Microsoft
Sharepoint Server see
http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/default.mspx.  One of the
features, you can move your Access database to Sharepoint.

That's my two cents worth...!!!

For a sure response send E-Mail to gsnmaint at usgs.gov, or
gsn-xxxx(your station code)@usgs.gov

Regards,

Kyle E. Persefield
Honeywell Int'l HTSI, Field Engineer
USGS Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory Contractor

Observatory "Trouble" Hotline Telephone: 505-846-5646
Tel:   505-846-7597
Fax:  505-846-6973
Web:  http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/

Mailing Address: